Experience Park Ridge Dental Associates' dedication to providing the best orthodontics in Park Ridge, Illinois.
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty that diagnoses and treats mal-positioned teeth and jaws. An orthodontist certification requires two or more years of advanced education after four years of dental school.
The term malocclusion describes mal-alignment or misplacement of teeth in either dental arch (upper or lower jaw). Abnormal alignment of the jaw and teeth is a common problem; approximately 30% of the population suffers from malocclusions that would benefit from orthodontic treatment.
Will I Benefit From Wearing Braces?
Orthodontic treatment most commonly involves the use of dental braces or other appliances to move the teeth back into normal alignment. The length of treatment is anywhere from months to years, depending on the severity of the malocclusions. If severe, jaw surgery may improve the positioning of teeth. Since childhood is the best time to begin consideration of orthodontics, we recommend treatment before adulthood.
Crooked teeth are more than a cosmetic concern, if the teeth do not fit together correctly, they are harder to keep clean. Inadequate cleaning leads to more plaque buildup, and more plaque buildup leads to more cavities. Tooth decay and periodontal disease lead to tooth loss. Abnormal movement or growth of the jaw, overbites, underbites, and impacted, crowded, or missing teeth need orthodontic care.
When teeth do not meet properly, improper chewing causes TMJ pain and headaches, as well as shoulder, neck, and even back pain. Proper orthodontic treatment requires an extensive initial examination, including medical and dental histories, full oral exam, x-rays, and photographs.
Am I a Candidate For Orthodontics?
Consider orthodontics at Park Ridge Dental Associates for any of the following:
- Teeth crowding: Too many teeth for the space available.
- Spaced teeth: Gaps or spaces between teeth from lost teeth or not enough teeth to fill up the space available.
- Overbite: Also called “buck teeth", the upper front teeth stick out over the lower teeth.
- Underbite: The lower teeth are too far forward or the upper teeth are too far back.
- Crossbite: The upper teeth do not sit slightly in front of the lower teeth when together.
- Open bite: When there is space between the upper and lower teeth when together.
- Misplaced midline: The center of the upper front teeth do not line up with the center of the front lower teeth.
What is the Optimum Window For Orthodontic Treatment?
At Park Ridge Dental Associates, we recommend an orthodontic examination by the age of 7. Dental growth is usually complete by the age of 12 years; early orthodontic intervention decreases the chance of losing permanent teeth later.
Of course, you should schedule an appointment immediately if you notice something doesn’t seem quite right in your child’s mouth before they turn 7. The best intervention is early intervention. The following questions will be answered at the first orthodontic visit:
- Is there a problem?
- How do we correct it?
- Will we need to remove any teeth?
- How long with treatment last?
- How much will treatment cost?
Affordable orthodontics in Park Ridge
Call Park Ridge Dental Associates today for quality orthodontics in Park Ridge, Illinois.Orthodontics Park Ridge
View Larger Map